The Georgetown Lighthouse was built by the Dutch in 1817 and then rebuilt in 1830 to help guide ships into the Demerara River from the Atlantic ocean. The 31 m (103 feet) high octagonal structure is a famous landmark in Guyana with its distinct vertical red and white stripes. The Lighthouse, located on Water Street.
The brick structure was commissioned on 1 June 1830, when it replaced a wooden lighthouse that had been built on the same site by the Dutch. British engineers constructed the present lighthouse, reinforcing the building by placing it on a foundation with 49 Green Heart pillars, making it durable nearly 200 years later.
A steel balcony at the top of the Lighthouse offers a panoramic view of Georgetown and West Coast Demerara, this sure is one beautiful scenery from the top.